Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Messiah Complex


Last week Stacy and I enjoyed possibly the best vacation ever! What made it great- nothing. We did nothing. We followed our son's schedule (Baby Schedule) you eat when you get hungry, sleep when you get tired, never keep track of time, and do whatever is on your heart.

Thanks to some great friends (The Vier Family) we were able
to stay for free at their Lake House in Montezuma by lake Ponderosa. As if the house weren't enough- they gave full access to their jet skis, boats (plural), 4 wheelers, rangers, and more. God has blessed me with an amazing wife and son- our family, that I was so excited to get tons of time to actually be with them- uninterrupted family time.


I told Stacy my plan with the vacation was to make sure we were still friends, not just roommates, but friends. Great News- we are!

I also had another relationship I needed to check on- friendship or roommate (you get what I mean). In all the busyness of the past year God and I had days where time spent together was nothing more than a passing glance or a small conversation as I wash dishes and he spins the world. My wife is so fantastic as she not only allowed, but fully encouraged my mornings being spent with God, and then afternoons with family, evenings with her.

So my title comes from what God taught me. Hopefully this will be a timely read for those of you burning the candle on both ends this summer.

My Messiah Complex
It stems from this heart issue- Pride.

What happens if I don't meet with this person, get this done, do well with this talk tonight? Will people think less of me? Will I keep this person from ever knowing of Jesus?

Let me ask question- Why did God rest on the 7th Day?
God doesn't get tired, nor does he ever rest- so why? He did it for us.

Life has a rhythm to it- sure I can walk over to a drum set and name all the pieces by name and even make noise by hitting them. But I can't play- the missing ingredient rhythm. The key to making a beautiful noise is knowing when to play and when not to play- thus rhythm. Most of us live like amateur drummers we approach the cage with confidence, grab the sticks, and begin flailing our arms. Who do we think we are? Clint Robinson- no chance. It's horrible.

Our lives often represent more chaos than beauty and worse off- we work harder to fix it and move closer to burn out.

God rested for us to give us an example to follow. Thats why he is so serious about the Sabbath throughout the OT and when he gets to the NT he affirms it (not wanting people to get legalistic about what work is and isn't- but was stressing the need to take a break).

Here is my struggle- every day I take a break, I believe God is disappointed in the ministry I am missing out on. No one gets saved when I take days off- this is the thought of a person who has a messiah complex like me. We burn the candle at both ends, not for wrong motives, but for Christ. He needs me- lost people need me. Resting and Celebrating doesn't slow the fact that every second 2 people die.

Luke 5:15-16 "Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and be healed of their sickness. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."

Obviously prayer is huge here, but so also is the clear commitment of Jesus to get alone with God and refresh. I have so much more to say on how God has challenged me on this- but I will leave you in the Spirit's hands to wrestle with your own Messiah Complex or Apathy (you maybe need less rest and relaxation time).

Keep on fighting but don't forget to drink water

No comments:

Post a Comment